What is Structured Workplace Learning?
As part of the VCAL program, students are required to complete Structured Workplace Learning each Thursday during school terms. This is often called a work placement or structured work placement.
Structured workplace learning provides students with the opportunity to integrate on-the-job experience with secondary study. It is delivered as part of either the VCE or the VCAL, VCE Industry and Enterprise or VCAL units. It provides:
- enhanced skill development
- practical application of industry knowledge
- assessment of units of competency
- achievement of some learning outcomes for VCE studies or VCAL units and
- enhanced employment opportunities
Where can I complete a placement?
VCAL students are able to complete their placement at a variety of places. Many students will decide to complete their placement in a field related to their VET study, whilst others will use this opportunity to explore an alternative career path.
Conditions of Structured Workplace Learning
- A student must begin a work placement by Thursday, 15 February.
- If you do not have a placement, you are required to attend school this day and use this time to make contact with employers, or utilise the Structured Workplace Learning Portal to search for placements.
- A student is not permitted to start placement until the Structured Workplace Learning Arrangement Form (Contract) has been completed and signed by the following:
- Parent/Guardian (if student is under 18)
- The Principal – the principal cannot sign until all parties above have signed.
- A placement is scheduled for a maximum of 10 days. This placement can be extended with authority of the principal to 20 days if the Structured Workplace Learning Exemption Form is completed and signed by the principal.
- Students are to organise start and finish times with the employer and notify Mr. McMillan of these times.
- If you are unable to attend a placement due to illness or an appointment, the student must inform the employer as soon as possible. The student must also notify Mr McMillan of their absence.
- Structured Workplace Learning Arrangement Form (blank)
- Structured Workplace Learning Travel and Accommodation Form (blank)
- Structured Workplace Learning Exemption Form
- Structured Workplace Learning Guidelines for Employers
- Frequently Asked Questions – Child Employment Legislation and Workplace Learning